Friday, January 29, 2010

Donny & Marie host Project Gratitude

Despite the bad weather conditions across the country, all 22 mothers and daughters of Project Gratitude arrived safely in Las Vegas yesterday - a group of women who are incredibly strong, courageous, and inspiring.

Last night we were the guests of Donny & Marie. In a touching moment on stage, Donny honored the women and the ultimate sacrifice they (and their husbands) have paid. Marie, literally in tears (who was also very ill but insisted on performing for the women) spoke directly to the ladies, sharing her perspective of the peace that must exist in knowing their children had fathers of integrity and commitment. We all were in tears.

After the event, Donny invited us all backstage where he spent an amazing about of time with each of the little girls, took photos (including my famous 'ta da' shot - photos coming), and created the additional time to simply console one of the daughters whose emotional loss was a bit much to bear last night.

I haven't slept now in about 48 hours, my brain is busy processing every minute of my time with them to make it exception, but also playing out the scenarios of their lives. I have been blessed to have a life full of diversity and variety not only of opportunity, but of people. I have beautiful friends whom serve our military. But I have never experienced the profound bond of those wives of fallen soldiers...the "widows" as they refer to themselves. They encircle each other with a cloak of love and compassion that I just can't describe. What a gift to be with them this weekend!

Today, its off to Macy's for a shopping spree, make-overs, and lunch by the Capital Grill. elan woman will also shoot our March/April cover today! I will post photos later today....

2 comments:

Julie Hopkins said...

Darci -- Sharlene and you are amazing. What a pleasure to be a "fly on the wall" and watch what you have put together.

L. Madsen Designer said...

This such an amazing project! You are such an inspiration to me, and I hope I can one day be even 1/10th at creative and inspirational as you are to so many!