Monday, March 17, 2008

Dune Diva

Making time for ourselves is easy to advocate but hard to do. After a full year at elan, I decided it was time for a break. The family loaded up our quads and headed for the California desert. No cell phone. No Internet. Just campfires, grit in the teeth, and sand in the eyes. Oh, I guess I should add paint in the hair. My 16 year old son and his friend got this idea that Steve and I as responsible adults needed a wild hair, so the boys painted ours. Pink for me. Steve boasted blue and orange. The colors photographed nicely and the boys couldn't believe us "fuddy duddies" were so willing.
The daily breeze smoothed the Dumont Dunes for fresh riding each morning. It was exhilarating to feel free from the busy world and just ride. I've somewhat mastered crossing the razorback edge that usually dumps you into what is known as a bowl. In order to "stick" to the wall of the bowl and climb out on the quad, you've got to hit the gas. YA BABY! Well ok, I'm not as fast as my male counter parts, BUT I screamed the loudest. In the midst of a ride, I got a "wild hair" for the May/June issue. You are going to love it - paint and all!

No comments: